If you are a massive fan of takeout sweet and sour chicken, but your budget isn’t agreeing with you, then you absolutely have to try this baked sweet and sour chicken recipe! Even if takeout isn’t your thing, this recipe needs to become a regular in your weeknight meals.
This is one of the only sweet and sour recipes that give you a crispy crunch on the outside, with juicy and moist chicken meat, perfectly rounded out with the punch of sweet and sour.
You and your family will love the tender chicken and the well balanced sweet and sour sauce that is perfect to spoon over some fried rice.
For the chicken
- 1 pound of skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
For the sweet and sour sauce:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or granules
- Start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly oil a baking dish.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic powder in a bowl. Set this aside while you prepare the chicken.
- Place the cut-up chicken breast into a large bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Slowly add in the cornstarch and toss the chicken around to coat the chicken.
- Beat the two eggs in a separate bowl.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dip the chicken into the beaten eggs.
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and add in a few of the chicken pieces at a time. Cook until golden brown, which will take between 1 and 2 minutes. If you place too many pieces of chicken in the pan at once, they will not crisp up.
- Place the cooked chicken onto a plate lined with a paper towel to allow for excess oil to drain.
- Once you have fried all of the pieces of chicken, place them into the oiled baking dish. Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the chicken.
- Place this into the oven and allow to bake until the sauce has thickened. This will take around 55 minutes.
- Turn the chicken every 15 minutes to evenly coat it all in the sweet and sour sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve over some hot fried rice.
- Pour any of the excess sweet and sour sauce over the fried rice – it can’t go to waste! Top with some sliced spring onion and enjoy!
How To Serve The Baked Sweet And Sour Chicken
The baked sweet and sour chicken is best served over some fried rice. Here is a great fried rice recipe that the whole family will love.
You could also serve it with some stir-fried vegetables, such as sliced bell peppers, cabbage, and carrots. Ramen noodles also soak the sweet and sour sauce up wonderfully, so it depends on what your family prefers, and what you have waiting in your fridge or pantry to be used!