Pork chops, barbecue sauce AND bourbon – what else could you ask for! This delicious homemade BBQ bourbon glaze will give your pork chops the most amazing flavour and sticky sweet finish that will have you coming back for more!
The sauce is so good, you might want to make extra to keep in the fridge to enjoy for the rest of the week as well!
For this recipe, you need to purchase good-quality pork chops, that are thick enough to remain juicy once cooked. The glaze should caramelize on the outside, and give the pork chops a punch of flavour.
BBQ Bourbon Glazed Pork Chop Recipe
Here is how to make the BBQ bourbon-glazed pork chops – whether you cook them on the grill, in the oven, or on a skillet!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper*
- 1 cup of tomato sauce (ketchup)
- ¾ cup of bourbon
- ¼ cup of molasses
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 8 pork chops, 1-inch thick, bone-in
*add in more or less depending on how spicy you like your food
- Place a medium saucepan on the stove on medium heat. Heat the oil and add in the garlic, stirring it occasionally until it sizzles. Do not let the garlic brown.
- After 1 minute, add in the chili powder and cayenne powder. Stir while it cooks for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato sauce, bourbon, molasses, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Allow this all to simmer, stirring it occasionally until it thickens slightly. This should take around 15 minutes. Leave to simmer for longer if you want it to thicken a little more. Season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Place the grill onto medium-high. On a dish, season the pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the pork chops onto the grill, turning once. Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the pork chop (away from the bone). When the thermometer reads 58 degrees Celsius, baste it with 2/3 of the glaze and allow it to cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and baste it with the glaze again.
- Serve the pork chop with the remaining glaze.
Best Side – Lemon Smashed Potatoes
The best side to enjoy with the BBQ bourbon-glazed pork chops is lemon smashed potatoes! Here is how to make them:
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- Kosher salt
- 2 lemons, zested
- Black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with both the cream and milk, and allow to come to a boil over medium heat.
- Add in 1 tsp of salt.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, around 25 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of the milk and cream liquid and reserve.
- Add the lemon zest, some salt and pepper to taste, and use a masher to break up the potatoes.
- Add in 1 cup of the reserved liquid as you mash the potatoes.
- Pour more of the reserved liquid in if you want creamier potatoes.
Serve the lemon smashed potatoes immediately and drizzle with leftover BBQ bourbon glaze!