Who doesn’t love a golden, crispy chicken tender? We would usually have to limit our intake of these delicious golden nuggets, as they are fried in oil and not so great for most diets! However, the incredible air fryer has come to the rescue (if you don’t have one, you are missing out!)
Cooking chicken tenders in the air fryer means that you need no oil, but still get to enjoy a crispy, golden chicken tender that is wonderfully juicy on the inside! To round it all off, we have included a tangy honey and mustard dipping sauce to make as well.
All you need to do is spray the chicken tenders with some cooking spray to give the breading some moisture, and avoid using all that oil!
Here is the best recipe for crispy air fryer chicken tenders!
- 1 1/2 lb chicken tenders
- Black pepper
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 2 ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
Honey mustard dipping sauce:
- 2/4 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup natural yogurt
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- Lay the chicken tenders out on a plate. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour into a shallow bowl, and the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs and the buttermilk in a third bowl.
- Pick up one chicken tender at a time, and dip it in the flour, then the egg mixture, and then the bread crumbs. Press the chicken tenders into the bread crumbs to coat them evenly, and to ensure the bread crumbs stick.
- Once you have coated all the chicken tenders, work in batches to cook them. Place the chicken tenders one at a time into the air fryer, making sure they are spread out evenly and that it is not overcrowded.
- Spray the tops of the chicken tenders with cooking spray.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius)
- Flip the chicken tenders over to the other side and spray with some more cooking spray. Leave to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process until all of the chicken tenders are cooked, making sure they are crispy and golden, but cooked through on the inside.
- While the chicken tenders are cooking, you can start making the honey and mustard dipping sauce.
- Place the mayonnaise, natural yogurt, honey, Dijon mustard, and hot sauce into a small bowl. Whisk together well and season with a pinch of salt and some black pepper. How much hot sauce you use will depend on how spicy you like your food!
You can either enjoy your crispy chicken tenders and honey mustard sauce on their own or serve them with a side dish to make a full meal. The ideal side dish would be a seasonal salad, rounding up the light meal perfectly! Use whatever green leaves, fruit, veg and cheese you have to make a delicious seasonal salad.