Beef wellington is a classic, but if you are taking a break from meat, or want to look for a new recipe to try out for dinner, this delicious vegan wellington is a great option!
You could also use the vegetables you have sitting in your fridge or pantry to make up this dish, but the combination of the Portobello mushrooms, pecans, sweet potatoes, chestnuts, and cranberries really is just out of this world.
Whether you make this as a dinner for guests, or as a weeknight meal, you and those who try it are sure to love it!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 onion, sliced fine
- 1 leek, trimmed, and sliced fine
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g spinach leaves
- 125g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 75g pecan nuts, chopped roughly
- 180g cooked and peeled chestnuts, crumbled
- 1 large orange, zested
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 375g ready-roll vegan puff pastry
- 2 tbsp soy milk or another plant-based milk
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add in the chopped sweet potato and allow to cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, or until they soften and brown.
- Add in the onion and the leek and leave to fry for another 10 minutes until soft. After this stir in the garlic, cranberries, spinach, pecans, chestnuts, and orange zest.
- Season with some salt and pepper and allow to cook for another 5 minutes. This filling mixture should begin to soften.
- Once all softened, spread the filling mixture onto a large tray and allow it to cool.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add in three of the mushrooms, with the stalks removed, with the smooth side down. Allow to cook for 2 minutes and then turn to cook for 2 minutes on the other side. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Chop up the remaining mushroom and stalks and place into the frying pan with the remainder of the olive oil, frying for 3 minutes or until browned. Add this to the filling mixture, stirring and adding salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper, or grease it well.
- Unroll the puff pastry onto a board and spoon on half of the filling mixture into the centre of the pastry, going from one short end to the other. Make sure to leave a 2cm border at each end.
- Place the mushrooms in a row on top of the filling mixture. Spoon the remaining mixture onto the top of the mushrooms, pressing down with your hands.
- Brush the sides of the pastry with soy milk, and bring the two short sides together up over the filling and fold together. Do the same with the long sides, creating an oblong shape. Use any extra pastry to patch up tears, so no filling leaks out.
- Place the lined baking tray onto the top of the vegan wellington and flip it over, making sure the joins are at the bottom.
- Score the top of the pastry with the tip of a knife and brush with more soy milk, and sprinkle some poppy seeds on top.
- Bake the vegan wellington for 45 minutes until the pastry is golden-brown and the filling is hot. Serve with some homemade vegetable gravy!
This delicious vegan wellington is sure to be a hit!