Carpets can get dirty and smelly quite quickly. They can be a pain to keep clean and smelling fresh, especially with kids in and out of the house, and if you have pets too!
Often, musty carpets are the reason your house smells off, and they can lead to allergies as well. Instead of calling out a carpet cleaning business every time you want to freshen things up at home a bit, why not try using these effective homemade carpet deodorizers that you can easily make yourself!
You will not believe what a difference deodorizing your carpets will make to freshening up your home!
Pre-Freshen With White Vinegar
White vinegar – an essential item to keep in your pantry for so many reasons! There is not much that vinegar can’t do, and it really does to help get your carpet ready for a deodorizer.
White Vinegar Solution:
- Add in some warmed white vinegar to a spray bottle, filling it just under halfway.
- Dilute the vinegar with warm water, filling it up with a 1:1 ratio.
- Set the spray bottle to mist, and lightly spray the carpeted area.
- Leave the vinegar solution to sit for up to 10 minutes.
Baking Soda Deodorizer
There are a few different deodorizers you can make to use at home, but the base of them should be baking soda. Baking soda works so well to absorb smells and odours, while depositing a fresh scent that lasts. Do this step after the vinegar solution has been left to sit on the carpet.
Here is how you can make homemade carpet deodorizer using baking soda:
- Use a mason jar to hold the deodorizer. Puncture some holes in the lid of the mason jar using a hammer and a nail.
- Add 2 cups of baking soda to a mixing bowl.
- Pour in 10-20 drops of essential oil into the baking soda.
- Mix together well and break up any clumps and lumps.
- Pour the baking soda mix into the glass jar and screw the lid on tightly.
- Sprinkle this mixture onto your carpet, using the holes in the lid.
- Leave the deodorizer to sit on the carpet for 20 minutes or more.
- Vacuum up the mixture slowly, making sure to suck up all of the carpet deodorizer.
Essential Oil Mixes
Now comes the fun part! The baking soda forms the base of the carpet deodorizer, and you get to choose the scents and smells that you add to it. Using essential oils, you can create some blends that suit your home, the season, or whatever you love smelling around the house!
Here are some ideas of blends to add to the baking soda, which will linger around on your carpet and bring a wonderful fresh scent to your home:
- 10 drops of citrus & 6 drops of rosemary
- 8 drops of eucalyptus & 12 drops of lemon
- 5 drops of lavender, 8 drops of lemon & 5 drops of peppermint
- 2 drops of ylang-ylang, 10 drops of tangerine, and 8 drops of cedarwood
You can play around with your favourite essentials oils for the perfect aroma for your home.