Sleep is one of the most important things that your child will do every day. From babies to teenagers an environment that is conducive to sleep must be maintained. This article will, therefore, advise on how to do just that.
One of the most important things that can be done for your child and there sleep is to develop a routine and stick to it. Regardless of your child’s age, it is pivotal that a routine is put in place as this will allow your child to function adequately at key times throughout the day and in the case of your child just having a routine in place will help your child develop and grow.By establishing a sleep routine and maintaining it will not only help your child fall asleep but it will also help them to stay asleep throughout the night and wake up ready to take on the day as well as potentially preventing the risk of any future sleep problems occurring with your child. This will not only help with any stress levels but can also make it a special bonding time for both you and your child.
That being said your child is unique and will be unique from even any other children that you already have or will go on to have and so with that in mind you will need to adjust and find the routine that fits best for them.
Some of the steps that are advisable with sleep routines are:
- Be consistent – as with every aspect of parenting consistency is key and this routine is no different if you and your partner are not consistent then the routine will not work.
- Teamwork is essential with any routine – you must both be on the same page otherwise you will confuse your child and they will not know what is expected of them.
- Set a specific bedtime and stick to it – if your child knows that they have to go to bed at the same time every night this will help them accept and stick to the routine as well as allowing you to plan the bedtime.
- Make sure the bedroom is a comfortable temperature. If the child is too hot or too cold then they will find it hard to fall asleep and it could wake them up. Equally, make sure their pyjamas are suitable for the weather and temperature too.
- If your child has a comfort blanket or teddy that they use at bedtime make this an item that they only have at bedtime. That way they will know that they have this comfort at bedtime and it will help them sleep.
Another way to induce sleep is to make sure that your children’s bedrooms and your bedroom are as decluttered as possible, as it is believed that this can affect and disturb sleeping patterns as it can interrupt an individuals ability to relax. Even if you can ignore it your brain will register the mess and this will start to affect you over time.
A way to implement this with older children is to avoid any electronic devices before they go to sleep. These include computers, gaming consoles, tablets, mobile phones and so forth. This is because they stimulate the bodies internal clock and suppress the release of the sleep hormone melatonin.
This article gives just some of the ways that you can try to facilitate mindful sleep both in yourselves and your children. There are plenty of other ways that this can be done and with just a little time to incorporate them you and your family could be sleeping soundly in no time.