Carbonara is a delicious Italian pasta dish that is so simple to make, using only a few ingredients, but which is rich, creamy, and delicious.
If you have mastered carbonara, or want to try something a little different, try out this carbonara fried rice dish!
It is an ideal dish to make to use up some extra items in the pantry and freezer, and the end result is simply amazing. The whole family will love the richness of the carbonara, and the crunchy fried rice with bits of pancetta and peas.
Taking only 30 minutes to make, and being so simple to do so, here is how to make carbonara fried rice.
Carbonara Fried Rice Recipe
- 5 ounces of pancetta – chopped into small pieces
- 4 cups of long-grain rice, cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add and fry the pancetta. Cook it until the fat has rendered and the pancetta is nice and crisp, stirring as it cooks. This should take around 10 minutes.
- Once the pancetta has crisped up, remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon, to cook the tasty bits and oil in the pan. Set the pancetta aside.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and spread it around into an even layer, setting the stovetop onto medium-low heat. Be sure to break up any large chunks with a spoon or fork.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the rice, and then add on the frozen peas as well. Leave this to cook until the rice begins to crisp up and brown on the bottom, which should take around 3 minutes.
- Mix this all together and cook it, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has cooked out and the rice is crisp, which should take another 8 minutes.
- Place the pancetta back into the skillet with the thinly sliced scallions. Cook these with the rice for a minute, and then have a taste. Add in more salt and pepper if needed.
- Once this has been cooked, divide the fried rice into 4 separate bowls, and top each with around ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Make a small well in the centre of the rice and add in 1 egg yolk to each bowl. Stir the egg yolk into the rice mixture, and it should cook with the heat of the rice, and give the fried rice a creamy, rich taste and texture.
Note: It is important to add the egg yolk to the rice mixture while it is still hot. If the rice is not hot enough, the yolk might not cook enough. You could run the risk of food-borne illnesses. The rice should just have come off the stove and placed into the pan when the egg is added.
If you aren’t sure if it is cooked, you could always pop it into the microwave for a few seconds.