This delicious sandwich is one of the easiest and tastiest sandwiches to whip up for lunch or to take along on a picnic! Not only does it taste heavenly, but it is really healthy as well. The Greek yogurt, chicken and cranberry sandwich will be your new favourite lunchtime meal!
The recipe gives you an amazing way to use up leftover chicken from the night before, whether you are making sandwiches to pack for the children to take to school, or as a quick snack as you run out the house.
Forget boring old chicken mayo sandwiches, try out this great recipe for a Greek yogurt, chicken and cranberry sandwich!
- 2 cups of cooked chicken, shredded (last night’s leftovers are perfect)
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- ½ cup of grapes, diced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped or slivers
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 slices of health bread
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, red onion, grapes, apple, dried cranberries, almonds, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients until combined evenly.
- Lay out 4 slices of health bread, and place a lettuce leaf on each.
- Spread the chicken and cranberry mixture on the bread and close the sandwich.
- Cut in half and serve!
Healthy Bread Options
To make the Greek yogurt, chicken and cranberry sandwich as healthy as possible, you need to choose a healthy bread! Here are some of the better options:
Sprouted Whole Grain Bread
Sprouted whole grain bread is made from whole grains which have begun to sprout. Sprouting increases the availability of certain nutrients. Sprouted whole-grain bread is high in fibre, vitamins, and minerals.
A fermentation process is used to make sourdough bread. Naturally occurring yeast and bacteria help the bread to rise.
The fermentation process makes sourdough easier to digest, and helps to lower blood sugar effects.
Whole Wheat Bread
The entire grains in whole wheat flour remain intact. Whole wheat bread is made from 100% whole wheat flour. This is higher in vitamins and minerals compared to other breads that are made from refined wheat.
Flax bread contains omega-3 fatty acids that promote a healthy heart. It is made primarily from whole grain flours and a good amount of flax seeds. It is one of the healthiest bread options.
Choosing A Healthy Bread
There are quite a few different bread options on the market – so choosing the right healthy bread for you can be difficult. Here is what to look for in healthy bread:
- Made with 100% whole grain flour and limited to the other ingredients.
- There are no added sweeteners in the bread.
- Each slice has between 3-5 grams of fiber and 3-6 grams of protein.
The right tasting bread can make the Greek yogurt, chicken, and cranberry sandwich taste that much better!