Breakfast bars are the perfect on-the-go snack for the busy family. You can make them at home and add in different ingredients to make them more suited to your family. The oats, cereals, fruits, and nuts keep these bars healthy, while still being super delicious!
Here is an easy, versatile recipe for healthy and delicious breakfast bars that the whole family will love!
- 50g dried mixed fruit
- 50g mixed seeds
- A handful of chopped nuts
- 140g oats
- 25g multi-grain hoop cereal
- 100g butter
- 110g light brown sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- Lightly grease a 20cm square baking pan and line with baking parchment paper if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Place the dried fruit, the seeds, the nuts, the oats, and the cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the butter, sugar, and golden syrup into a saucepan, and heat up on the stovetop. Stir with a spatula until the butter and the sugar are melted.
- Remove this from the heat and pour all the dry ingredients into the saucepan. Mix all together well to ensure that all the dry ingredients are coated in the syrup mix.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin, using a spatula to press down the mixture well.
- Bake the breakfast bars for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove them from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once the breakfast bars have cooled down, cut them into squares or fingers.
How Long Will The Breakfast Bars Last?
Once baked and cut into squares or fingers, the breakfast bars should be kept in an airtight container and should be eaten within 3-4 days. This shouldn’t be a problem though, as they probably won’t last that long with how popular they are!
Ingredients To Add Into The Breakfast Bars
There is such a wide variety of ingredients you can add to the breakfast bars to make them have different tastes and flavours. Here are some ideas of what you could add in:
- Dried apricot
- Dried banana
- Dried mango
- Chopped walnuts
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped almonds
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped pecans
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
You can pretty much use up all the seeds, nuts, and dried fruit you have sitting in the pantry, to make these delicious bars.
These healthy and delicious breakfast bars work great as a quick breakfast when you are heading out the door and don’t have time to prepare food, or as an added snack in your child’s lunchbox.
You could also drizzle some melted chocolate on the top to make them an extra-special treat. Dark chocolate is the healthiest option, and it still tastes as great!