If you are looking for low-carb alternatives to traditional, easy to make dinners, then this healthy cauliflower shepherd’s pie is exactly what you need!
It is an ideal dinner for during the week, and you are sure to have some leftovers that you can keep for a low-carb lunch the next day as well. The whole family will love the wholesome flavours of the dish, and you will love just how easy it is to make.
Packed with veggies, it is a great way to get your kids to eat a little healthier as well!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- First, you will need to make the cauliflower mash. Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a large pot placed on medium heat.
- Add in the cauliflower pieces and cook for 5 minutes, until the cauliflower turns golden. Add in the water and reduce the heat. Cover and leave to cook until soft, around 9 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and save the cooking water.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to a food processor. Add in 2 tbsp of the cooking water and process until smooth. Pour in more water if needed until blended to a consistency you are happy with.
- You will now make the filling. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add in the onion and carrot and cook until soft. Add in the garlic and bell pepper.
- Pour ¼ cup of the reserved cauliflower water into the skillet and leave the vegetables to cook until they start to soften.
- Place another skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add in the ground beef and cook until it has browned. Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to transfer the ground beef to the skillet with the vegetables. Add in the coriander, cumin, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Transfer the beef and vegetable mixture into a cast-iron skillet or a baking dish. Spread it out evenly. Layer the mashed cauliflower onto the top of the mixture and spread this out evenly on top as well. Sprinkle some paprika over the cauliflower mash for extra flavour.
- Bake the shepherd’s pie in the oven for 20 minutes.
Can You Freeze The Healthy Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie?
If you want to save some of the healthy cauliflower shepherd’s pie for a later stage, you could place a portion in a sealable plastic container and place it in the freezer.
Make sure to label the container with the date of freezing and be sure to use it within 1 month of freezing. Leave it to thaw in the fridge overnight and heat it up in the oven.