Kids love to snack, and finding healthy snacks for them to eat can be so difficult! These homemade sausage rolls with hidden veg are the perfect afternoon snack, or light dinner, and are an ideal way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
You can never be sure what you are giving your child with store-bought sausage rolls, and making them at home means that you can add in any extra vegetables you have sitting in your fridge.
Here is a simple recipe for homemade sausage rolls with hidden veg, which you can tweak to add in some other vegetables as well!
- 400g sausage meat
- 300g chicken mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer and leave it to partially thaw.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line 2 baking trays with some baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage meat, chicken mince, onion, garlic, zucchini, carrot, breadcrumbs, and parsley. Mix until just combined.
- Beat 1 egg and add it to the mince mixture.
- Add in the nutmeg and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Divide the mince mixture into 8 equal portions.
- Cut each of the 4 pastry sheets in half. Lay them out in front of you on a clean workspace.
- Place a small amount of the mince mixture in the centre of the pastry.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush it on the edges of the pastry.
- Roll up the pastry to enclose the filling inside, and cut this into 6 pieces.
- Place the sausage rolls onto the baking tray with the seam side down.
- Brush the tops with some more egg and sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds.
- Bake the sausage rolls for 20 minutes in the oven, and then reduce the heat down to 180°C, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- When the sausage rolls are golden, remove and allow to cool slightly before serving them with some tomato sauce.
Yes, you can freeze the homemade sausage rolls, and it is a great idea to do so to ensure that you have some kept away for when the kids are hungry, and you don’t feel like making them from scratch!
The homemade sausage rolls are best frozen before they are baked. To freeze them, lay them out on a baking tray and place them in the freezer to flash-freeze. Once the individual sausage rolls have frozen, place them into a plastic freezer bag or container and place it into the freezer. Flash freezing them first stops them from sticking together, and you can remove as many as you want from the freezer without having to defrost the whole lot.
Use these within 3 months of freezing, cooking them in the oven until golden and cooked through.
You can also freeze cooked sausage rolls the same way, and reheat them in the oven.