As a busy parent, you need a quick go-to meal for the middle of the week when you don’t feel like spending hours slaving away in the kitchen, or for when you just don’t have the time to. Learning how to use leftovers to create new meals is such a great skill to have! To use up some leftover rice and chicken from a roast the night before, here is a kid-friendly chicken and egg fried rice recipe!
Chicken And Egg Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 320g mixed stir-fry vegetable pack
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 600g leftover cooked rice
- 1 cup leftover chicken, shredded
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Heat up half the olive oil in a frying pan and add in the beaten eggs. Try to swirl the pan to coat it in a thin layer of eggs and allow to cook for a few minutes, until the egg is set.
- Place the egg onto a chopping board, roll it up and slice it thin. Set aside.
- Heat the leftover olive oil and add in the stir-fry vegetables, curry powder, and frozen sweetcorn. Add in a small splash of water. Cook this for 2 minutes, until the vegetables start to wilt. Place into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the rice and chicken into the bowl, and drizzle some oil over. Mix together well, adding in the soy sauce, ketchup, and sweet chilli, a splash of water and pepper.
- Add in the eggs, vegetables, and toss all together, heating until it is all hot.
- Place into bowls and top with some spring onion, serve immediately.
You can leave out the curry powder from the recipe if your child is sensitive to spices. The other ingredients, ketchup, sweet chilli, and soy sauce, should give it quite a bit of flavour anyways.
This recipe is not only cost-effective and thrifty, but it is a great way to include some vegetables in your children’s diet. To make it even more fun for them to eat, you can get them some chopsticks and help them learn how to eat using them!
You can also adjust the recipe to suit your family. Instead of chicken, you can add in leftover pork, beef, tofu, or even just bulk it up with even more vegetables. You are also able to use either brown or white rice, depending on what your family prefers.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy it the next day. Do not keep the fried rice for longer than this as it would already have been cooked the day before, so it isn’t worth keeping it for too much longer.