Gnocchi is just so good, it is fulling, easy to make, and can be served with so many different sauces and toppings. We have shown you have to make your own gnocchi at home, and now we are going to show you how to take your gnocchi to the next level, with the mozzarella and chorizo gnocchi bake.
There is something just so amazing about a baked pasta dish, and the same can be said for this gnocchi bake. The smoky and spicy chorizo is perfectly rounded out by the creamy, mild mozzarella, with the tomato sauce bringing it all together perfectly.
The best part of it all is that this meal is super easy to make, and can be easily thrown together and baked for a quick weeknight meal! Spend some time making homemade gnocchi on the weekend and freeze some extra to make this bake during the week!
Mozzarella And Chorizo Gnocchi Bake Recipe
Here is how to make this easy bake to serve a family of 6.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 130g chorizo, chopped up
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 600g gnocchi
- 130g mozzarella, cut into pieces
- Bunch of basil, torn
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic and allow to cook for 8 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the chorizo and allow to fry for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cans of tomatoes and sprinkle in the sugar. Season with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave the tomato, chorizo, onion, and garlic mix to simmer, and then add in the gnocchi.
- Allow the gnocchi to cook in the sauce for 8 minutes, stirring it often.
- Once the gnocchi has cooked and turned soft, bring the grill to high heat.
- If the gnocchi is not in an oven-proof skillet, transfer it to an oven-safe dish.
- Stir ¾ of the mozzarella and the basil into the gnocchi and sauce.
- Top the gnocchi with the remaining mozzarella and leave it to grill for 3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and turned golden.
- Scatter the remaining basil over the top of the gnocchi, season with some salt and pepper, and serve while hot.
What Can I Serve With The Gnocchi Bake?
The best side dish to accompany the gnocchi dish would be a simple green salad. This gives you the opportunity to use up any veggies, greens, leaves and fruit you have in the fridge to make a delicious, yet simple, salad. This is a light side to serve with such a hearty dish.
If you are looking for something extra, you could also cook up garlic bread as well. If you do not have one readymade, you could slice up a French loaf, make some garlic butter with soft butter, crushed garlic, and salt, and butter the sliced French roll to make your own! Just wrap it in foil and allow to bake for up to 10 minutes until the butter has melted and the roll is crisp.