If you haven’t heard about bacon jam before, you are about to have the best taste experience ever! While the idea of bacon jam might seem strange, it is actually a wonderful flavour combination and makes for a great topping for burgers and other meals.
Bacon jam is easy to make at home, and if you make a little extra, you can give it to family and friends as a homemade gift. However, after trying the bacon jam, you might want to stash it all away for yourself to devour! It is a moreish recipe that will soon be your favourite condiment.
Here is how to make this must-try bacon jam recipe!
- 500g smoked bacon
- 1 onion, sliced fine
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 85g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp bourbon whiskey (or a little extra to taste)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100ml fresh brew black coffee
- Heat up a large skillet on the stove, and fry the bacon. Allow the bacon to fry for 5 to 10 minutes until the bacon is golden and crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the fat and oil behind in the pan.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the onions to cook in the bacon fat. Leave to cook for up to 20 minutes, until the onion is soft and browning.
- Stir in the garlic, apple cider vinegar, sugar, bourbon whiskey, maple syrup, and coffee, and add the bacon back into the pan.
- Leave this all to cook for up to 30 minutes, stirring the mixture every now and then. The mixture should become thick and like jam.
- Once the mixture is thick, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Place the mixture into a blender or processor, and pulse for a few seconds, very briefly. Do not do it for too long, as it would turn into puree. Just pulse it for a few seconds to chop up the blanket and make it more jam-like.
- Leave the jam to cool to room temperature before packing away.
- Spoon the bacon jam into sterilized mason jars and seal well.
How Long Will Bacon Jam Last In The Fridge?
Bacon jam will last in the fridge for up to 1 month (if you haven’t eaten it all by then!) However, this is dependent on how you have stored the bacon jam.
Have some sterilized mason jars ready to pack the bacon jam in once it has cooked. Sterilize the mason jars well so that there is no residue bacteria that might cause the bacon jam to spoil.
What Can I Use The Bacon Jam On?
This must-try bacon jam recipe goes well with many meals. It is absolutely delicious when topped on a burger, but can also be used on toasted sandwiches, jaffles, and even with some cheese on a cracker! It adds such a great flavour to so many savoury dishes.