If you are one of the many that avoid making molten lava cakes because they seem tricky to make – you are in the right place! Here is the best recipe for perfect molten lava cakes that turn out just right each time!
Whether you choose to bake this at home for your family as a treat, or to impress guests when entertaining, these are easy to make and will be an absolute hit!
- 100g butter, plus some extra to grease
- 100g dark chocolate chopped into blocks
- 150g brown soft sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 60g plain flour
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease 6 ramekin bowls with butter, or bowls of a similar shape that are safe to be placed in the oven.
- Place the 100g of butter into a bowl along with the 100g of dark chocolate. This needs to be a heatproof bowl. You can either place this into the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between, to melt, or you could put a small saucepan with water to boil, and place the bowl in the saucepan (not touching the water) to double boil and melt the chocolate this way.
- Stir the melted chocolate until it is smooth and set it aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has cooled, use an electric hand mixer to beat in the 150g brown sugar and the 3 large eggs, adding the eggs in one at a time.
- Add in the ½ tsp of vanilla extract, and slowly tip in the 60g of flour. Mix well.
- Divide the chocolate mixture between the 6 ramekins.
- If you are not ready to cook the molten cakes, you can place them in the fridge until they need to be cooked.
- Place the ramekins in the oven and allow to cook for 10-12 minutes, until the tops are slightly firm but the middle is still soft.
- Remove the molten cakes from the oven, making sure not to overcook them. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen them, and tip them onto a serving plate.
- Top each molten cake with some fresh cream or ice cream, and make sure to serve them warm.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Molten Cakes?
Yes, you can freeze chocolate molten cakes before you bake them. Divide the batter into the bowls you will be baking them in, and cover them with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place these in the freezer and use them within 2 weeks.
This is a wonderful way to plan ahead for a dinner party or just to have an extra treat ready and waiting in the freezer for when you feel like you need a dessert.
When it comes time to cook the molten cakes, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and place the frozen molten cakes into the oven and allow them to bake for 16 minutes. Keep a check that they do not overcook, as there will be no gooey inside!