Butter chicken is a classic Indian dish, but it is also a popular dinner in many Aussie homes. Finding a good but super easy butter chicken recipe can be difficult. To make weeknight dinners easier for you, and to give you that authentic, rich, and creamy butter chicken meal you have been craving, here is a great recipe to try!
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm knob of ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/3 tsp chili powder*
- 600g boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion thickly sliced
- 410g can tomato puree
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup thickened cream
- Basmati rice, cooked, to serve
- Coriander leaves to serve
- Place the garlic, yogurt, ginger, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and garam masala in a bowl. Add in the chicken and stir it all together to coat the chicken well. Leave to refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
- Heat the oil and the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Next, add in the onion. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add in the chicken. Cook this for 5 minutes, until the chicken begins to brown and change colour.
- Add in the tomato puree and the chicken stock. Cover the pan and allow it to reach a boil.
- Reduce to low heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, or until chicken is tender and the liquid has thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the thickened cream. Leave it to simmer for another 5 minutes, until it has heated through.
- Serve the butter chicken over steamed basmati rice and top it off with some fresh coriander leaves.
Thickened Cream – Thickened cream is also called whipping cream. It has a milk fat content of at least 35% and has a thickening agent such as vegetable gum or gelatine, which makes it whip up easily, and ensures it is less likely to curdle or split when it is cooked at higher temperatures.
Can I Freeze Butter Chicken?
You can make extra of the above recipe to freeze for a later stage or keep any leftovers frozen for a quick meal.
Butter chicken can be kept in the fridge for 4 days, or it can be frozen for up to 5 months. While it will still be fine to eat after 5 months in the freezer, the quality will decline and it won’t have the same great taste and texture.
Store the butter chicken in a freezer-friendly container that is able to be sealed shut. Label this with the date of freezing so you can easily keep track of when it should be eaten by!
Place the frozen butter chicken in the fridge the night before you plan on eating it, to leave it to defrost safely, ready to be warmed up and enjoyed the next day as a super easy meal!
*You can adjust the spice level of the butter chicken to suit what your family enjoys. Just add in less chili powder for milder heat, or more if you want something a little spicier!