Risotto is a dish that many of us shy away from making. We watch the professionals whip up a plate of delicious risotto on TV, and think it is a dish reserved for proper chefs. This couldn’t be more wrong! This tasty tomato risotto is so easy to make, and you could make it in your kitchen, with very little culinary skills!
This vegetarian dinner is suitable for the whole family and is a great way to make the most out of sweet tomatoes. Flavoured with saffron, this tasty tomato risotto is sure to be a winner in your home.
The dish is filling enough to be served on its own, but it is also a great side to meats and fish.
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- Pinch of saffron
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 7 cups of veggie stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Start by blistering the tomatoes. Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the whole cherry tomatoes into the pan and sear them, moving them around occasionally until they soften and burst. Remove from heat.
- In a large pot, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until golden. Add in the garlic and thyme and sauté until fragrant.
- Pour in the Arborio rice and sauté for one minute. Add in 2 cups of the vegetable stock, just to cover the rice, and then add in the paprika and the saffron.
- Stir this together and allow it to come to a boil. Leave to simmer until most of the stock has been absorbed.
- Add in another cup of vegetable broth and then pour the tomatoes into the mixture, along with all the juices. Stir this together.
- Leave the rice to simmer until the liquid has been absorbed, and add in another cup of broth. Repeat this until the rice is plump and slightly al-dente. You might need more or less than 7 cups to achieve this.
- Stir the parmesan and butter into the risotto and season well with salt and pepper, tasting as you go.
- Serve the risotto immediately, and offer some freshly grated parmesan on the table to top over the risotto for an extra cheesy kick!
Meat-Free Monday Meal
This tasty tomato risotto is a great choice for Meat-Free Monday, and the family will love the creamy, sweet risotto, and the addition of the cheesy parmesan and the fragrant saffron to top it all off.
Whether you serve the risotto on its own or as a side to a meat or fish main, it is easy to make, and is a dish to impress everyone without putting in too much work! It works great at dinner parties too, to wow guests with the complex flavours.