Chocolate brownies are always a hit, and there is so much you can do with a good, basic brownie recipe. Brownies are soft, fudgy, and just decadent, and most of us would choose a good brownie over a boring cake any day! Everyone needs a go-to brownie recipe, so here is the best (and easiest) chocolate brownie recipe to keep at home!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can add in so many delicious ingredients to make the brownies your own!
The Best Brownie Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of plain flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C (350 °F)
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray, you can line it with parchment paper if you like.
- Heat the butter until it has melted and is hot – this can be done in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Combine the melted butter (while hot), the oil and sugar together in a medium-sized bowl, whisking together for a minute.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat the mixture until it turns light in colour.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold the ingredients together gently until just combined. By overbeating the mixture, your brownies will not turn out fudgy.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and top with chocolate chunks if you like.
- Bake the brownies for around 20-25 minutes, checking that the centre of the brownies is cooked through and is set to the touch.
- For fudge-texture brownies, stick a toothpick in the centre. The toothpick should come out slightly dirty.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.
You can get quite creative with the ingredients you add to the brownie mixture. The recipe really does leave room for experimenting, and your brownies will be delicious either way. Here are some ideas of what to add to the brownie mix:
Chocolate chunks – There is no doubt that chocolate chunks make brownies so much better! You can add in chopped milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate, or a mixture of all three!
Coconut – Desiccated coconut can give the brownies a fun texture, and a bit of an earthy taste. You can add in half a cup of desiccated coconut to the brownie mix before baking.
Walnuts – Walnuts and chocolate go so well together, and you should definitely chop some up and add them to the brownie mix before baking if you have at home.
Marshmallows – Add some chopped marshmallows into the brownie mix to give a sweet pop of flavour! You can also add some marshmallows to the top of the brownie mix in the last 5 minutes of cooking, to give a s’more-like taste!
M&M’s – The kids will love finding some M&M’s hidden in their brownies, they also add some colour to the chocolatey treat!