When it comes to making playdough at home, you need to use a good recipe. Avoid the “Quick And Easy Playdough” or “Three Ingredient Playdough” recipes. They never turn out well and don’t last long at all! Here is the best homemade playdough recipe that actually lasts, and will be fine to use for months if stored right!
There are a few reasons why this is the best recipe:
- It makes enough dough for up to 6 kids
- It is soft and easy to mould, but it does not stick
- The ingredients cost next to nothing
- If kept in a Ziploc bag, the playdough lasts for months
- You can add different colours and scents to the dough
You will notice how much softer and easier to use this dough is compared to store-bought doughs and other recipes. You will never buy playdough from the store again!
Homemade Playdough Recipe
Here is how to make this super playdough at home. The kids can help too, but it does require some heating on the stove.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup iodized salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Food colouring
- In a large pot, stir together the flour, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Pour in the water and oil and mix together.
- If you are making one colour playdough, add in a few drops of the food colouring now, if not, hold off this step.
- Turn the stovetop onto medium heat and stir the dough continuously. After a while, the dough will thicken and begin to form into a ball.
- Remove the pot from the heat when the dough forms a ball and place it aside onto wax paper or a large plastic bag. Allow it to sit and cool down slightly.
- Once cool enough to handle, knead the dough until it is smooth (this takes some work!)
- If you want a few colours, divide the ball into how many colours you want.
- Work with one ball of dough at a time, adding in 5 drops of food colouring to start with, and knead the colour in. You can add more food colouring if you want brighter colours. You can knead the food colouring into the dough while it is in a plastic Ziploc bag so that it does not stain your hands and counters.
- Once all your colours are ready and the playdough is smooth, your kids can get playing!
Tips To Make Playdough Last Longer
For the playdough to last as long as possible, you need to pack it away into a sealed plastic bag or container as soon as the kids are finished playing. If left out, the playdough will begin to dry out and become rough. You can knead it and it should smoothen out again, but it is best to just pack it away.
The playdough should keep soft for up to 3 months if stored properly. After a few months, you can simply make another batch with some fun colours again for the kids to enjoy!