Moms know that pregnancy cravings are real, and there is no way to stop them once they kick in. Some of us crave pickles dipped in peanut butter, while other moms might take a liking to eating some Hot Cheetos dipped in yogurt. Weird and wonderful pregnancy cravings are actually very normal!
Some pregnancy cravings, such as a sudden taste for chalk, might be a sign that there is an underlying issue, however, most moms find that their pregnancy cravings involve two foods that nobody would ever dare to mix.
Here are a few of the weirdest and wonderful pregnancy cravings moms have had.
- Salad – This might not seem too odd at first, but the ingredients take it to the next level. Many moms crave a simple salad, with added mismatched ingredients such as avocado and grapefruit. The sweet and salty combination, highlighted by salt and pepper, is something not many of us would go for.
- Ice cream on toast – This could be one of the greatest discoveries yet. Breakfast and dessert in one go? Ice cream on toast sounds amazing!
- Tomato and icing – It’s really difficult to understand how anyone could crave these two together, who thinks that up?
- Oreos and mustard – There is no chance that anyone else on earth would crave this, other than a very desperate pregnant mom!
- Peanut butter – Not just peanut butter on its own, but peanut butter with almost anything – pickles, spaghetti, and even eggs!
- Ice cream and beef jerky – This seems to be a common thread with pregnancy cravings – a salty and sweet combination. However, there have to be better pairings than ice cream and beef jerky!
- Hot sauce – Spicy foods and hot sauce seem to be incredibly common pregnancy cravings. The issue with this is that spicy food mixed with pregnancy heartburn can lead to some serious discomfort, however, nothing can stop those cravings!
- Lemons – Lemons on their own seem to be a popular craving. Lemons, grapefruits, and limes are high on the list.
- Tomato soup and M&M’s – There really is no way to wrap your head around this one, unless you have been a pregnant mom with some really strange cravings!
As common as pregnancy cravings are, pregnancy aversions are just as real. You might find that the food you absolutely loved before becoming pregnant now turns your stomach with just the thought of it. These are some common pregnancy aversions:
- Spicy foods
These are often what some women crave more during pregnancy, but for some, they cannot stand the smell, sight or thought of these foods.
Why Pregnancy Cravings Happen
Several factors cause pregnancy cravings, including a heightened sense of smell and taste, hormones and nutritional deficiencies. Pregnancy cravings usually start during the first trimester and hit their peak in the second trimester.
If any of your pregnancy cravings lean towards items that are not edible, such as tar or laundry detergent (these are more common than you think), you should let your health advisor know.